Happy New Year to everyone and we hope you all had a great Christmas. It was proud Christmas for us at Kidkast to see so many of our students performing in Theatres in both Drogheda, Dundalk and Dublin. Our students represented us so well in The TLT Theatre, The Barbican, An Táin, The Helix and The Tivoli. This is what Kidkast is all about and well done to the many students who tread the boards. A big congratulations as well to Sarah Louisa and Annaleigh for directing and choreographing the Panto Sleeping Beauty in The TLT Theatre Drogheda.
We have a busy run to the end of June and some really exciting shows, performances and workshops in the coming weeks and months. Classes are now show focussed in preparation for our end of year show which takes place in the TLT Theatre over the bank holiday weekend in June. We do not recommend class swapping as it can be disruptive.
Our Hip Hop Crew rehearsal resumes from this Thursday 17th January and rumour has it Wendy is coming out of retirement to join us once again. Hip Hop crew training is every Thursday evening and we work towards competitions and performances. This October, among other competitions, we will be going to Trabolgan which is always a big favourite with students and parents, we look forward to this trip. More info on Thursday at rehearsal.
Last October we performed Magdalene Laundries which was a tribute piece in memory of the women and children from the Laundries. We have had over 10k views of this performance and has reached out across the world with many survivors sending messages of thanks for our portrayal of this dark period in Irish history. We have been asked to perform this at “Perform” which is a huge performing arts event in the RDS coming up this February. This is a great honour and it would seem the Irish Times have expressed an interest in the piece too. Congratulations to all students who took part.
We have been approached by Fishpond to host a day of workshops & and a talk about professional castings and auditions, with a reduced membership to Fishpond for Kidkast students who attend. Fishpond is a website for casting directors to access actors to cast projects for Film, TV, Theatre, as well as commercials etc. Dates for this have yet to be confirmed. We will have more details over the next few weeks and update accordingly.
Last October we had a school trip to London and attended workshops in Pineapple Dance Studios. We are looking at bringing the London teachers to the Old Abbey during the Easter holidays and holding an Easter Westend Intensive on the 17th and 18th of April. More details to follow.
It is essential that all students wear appropriate clothing and footwear for each class. If you are unsure please ask your teacher, or at reception about dancewear or shoes.
New Kidkast dancewear is now available in The Dance Shop.
Some Dates for your Diary:
- 3rd February Spectrum “I am Hip Hop” competition, Roadstone Sports Centre, Dublin
- 17th February “Perform” Exhibition, RDS, Dublin
- 24th February Collon Annual Showcase, Droichead Arts Centre
- 27th February ISTD Modern Exams, Old Abbey Dance Studios
- 3rd March VAD Inspirations Dance Competition, Victory Centre Dublin
- 4th & 8th March ISTD Ballet Exams, Old Abbey Dance Studios
- 10th March Drama Show, Droichead Arts Centre.
- 17th March St Patricks Day Parade Drogheda
- 17th & 18th April West End Easter Camp, Old Abbey Dance Studios
- 1st & 2nd June Kidkast Annual Show, TLT Theatre, Drogheda
- 10th – 15th June Natalia’s Bring a Parent week in aid of LauraLynn, Old Abbey Dance Studios
- June (date to be confirmed) Leinster School of Music and Drama Exams, Old Abbey Dance Studios
- 24th June Last Day Of Classes
- 1st July Summer Camp Week, Old Abbey Dance Studios
Finally, many of our Saturday classes are now full and have waiting lists. If you plan to change your class, please let us know so that space can be freed up for new students.
Thank you for making Kidkast what it is.